Headquartered in Kelowna, British Columbia, McFly Fishing Products Limited was founded in 2016 by Duncan McKenzie. The company manufactures at its Canadian facility, as well as its new additional facility in Tepic, Mexico. McFly strives to produce the highest quality fishing products that "simply work better and catch more fish".
The original McFly flies were developed for the spring and fall Rainbow Trout and Bull Trout fisheries of the Pacific Northwest. They have since proven to be highly successful at catching many other predator species throughout North America and abroad. Variations of McFly flies are available for both casting and trolling. They can also be used effectively with or without the use of outriggers or planers. McFly flies are also proven performers when deep trolled on their own or behind a flasher or dodger.
PEETZ Outdoors is proud to announce that in 2017, it became the authorized Canadian master distributor for these outstanding flies. They are manufactured to an uncompromising quality standard and are 100% guaranteed.
- Commonly used in the early season to “match the hatch”.
- Often used with lightweight trolling gear.
- Ideal for regions with single hook configuration requirements.
- Overall Length: Approx. 2” (50mm)
- Hook: #6 Premium Quality Salmon Hook
- Premium Materials:
- Highest Quality Bucktail
- Flashabou Fibre (UV, Glow, Metallic)
- Premium Holographic Eyes
- UV-Stabilized Epoxy Heads
SUGGESTIONS FOR USE
- McFly Minis - Ideally cast using lighter weight fly rods (4 - 8wt)
- Bucktailing is the technique of trolling the McFly fly behind a boat, just beyond the prop wash. The fly is trolled between 15 and 30ft behind the boat at a relatively fast speed of 5 to 10mph on or just below the surface. The wake of the boat helps to provide action for the lure.
- Another successful method, commonly used for lake fishing, is to troll the fly a long distance behind the boat on the surface - 200ft to 300ft - and between 3 and 3.5mph, depending on prevailing conditions and water temperature.
- If using a leader, a length of 6 to 9 feet with a swivel in front is suggested.
- McFly Minis - leaders of up to 20lb test have been used successfully.
McFly flies have proven effective for deepline trolling as an alternative to hoochie octopus/squid lures. Trolling speeds of 2.3 to 3mph are suitable, depending on prevailing conditions and the targeted species.
- On Its Own - McFly flies can be deepline trolled with a similar setup to bucktailing, with a long distance from the quick release.
- Using Inline Flasher/Dodger - Can be trolled with a setup similar to a hoochie. For the McFly Minis, it is suggested that the flasher/dodger be a maximum length of 8”.
- Using Dummy Flasher/Dodger Setup - Attach the flasher/dodger directly to - or just above - the cannonball. Attach the McFly fly from 6 to 8ft up the mainline with a front leader of 2ft to 6ft past the distance of the dummy flasher/dodger.