A rock solid reel choice for fishing larger species...
The robust 6" PEETZ™ Classic fishing reel will bring a lifetime of fishing pleasure. It was originally designed for battling Salmon, Halibut and Sturgeon in the Pacific Northwest, but it has also become popular worldwide for deep sea fishing where more traditional sport is demanded. The 6" PEETZ Classic Reel is suited for trolling, downrigger fishing and mooching game fish up to 150bs. It has been a big seller over the years because it keeps all of its promises!
- Handcrafted mahogany - sealed and stained with PEETZ custom sealer and two coats of quality marine spar varnish for decades of protection from the elements
- Handcrafted, polished brass components including a beautiful lathe-shaped brass line spool
- Simple, easy-to-use drag adjustment
- Tried and true non-slip drag control
- The distinctive sound of the PEETZ clicker ("fish on!") with on/off button
- A lifetime warranty against manufacturer's defects
- Diameter: 6 inches
- Width: 2.5 inches
- Weight: 32 ounces
Ready to Order?
You can purchase online securely through this website, or you can call us toll-free at 800.883.0221 (Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm PST). Welcome to the PEETZ family!
About the Classic Series
The Classic Series of PEETZ reels are legendary throughout the Pacific Northwest for their performance, durability and artisan beauty.
They are the reel of choice for old-school, traditional fishing - where the only thing between you and your catch is the purest of reel technologies. If you have ever fished with our PEETZ Classic reels in the past, you know there is something very special about the feel and action they provide.
Hand turning and shaping PEETZ Classic Series mahogany fishing reels:
Why Choose a PEETZ Classic Reel?
The PEETZ name has been an enduring promise of quality and artisan craftsmanship since 1925. Other than the pure joy they bring to the fishing experience, here are some other important reasons for owning PEETZ Classic Reels:
- PEETZ Classic Reels are the last of the Nottingham style fishing reels being manufactured in the world. They have been manufactured continuously for 90 years.
- PEETZ Classic Reels are working pieces of art that bring together form, function and old-world know how. They embrace the age of traditional fishing and their simplicity is what makes them so robust, enduring and more importantly, fun!
- The simplicity of PEETZ Classic Reels, particularly the Heritage Series, requires that you develop some skill in palming the reel effectively when your catch decides to go for a run. It is a traditional technique that has been used by fisherman since the invention of the fishing reel and - for many purists - it creates a closer connection with the fish on the line and adds "a whole lotta of excitement" to the fishing experience.
- PEETZ Classic Reels are unbelievably comfortable to palm when playing your catch. The slightly wider lip of the wood reel proves a natural feel like no other reel on the market.
- The analog drag control on PEETZ Classic Reels works extremely well. So many fishing reels have a problem with line creep… that annoying slippage that happens while trolling that requires constant drag adjustment. You'll experience none of that with your PEETZ reel.
- For fly fishing, the PEETZ drag control also allows for ultra fine adjustment, so you can set your reel up exactly the way you want it.
- Like an acoustic guitar, the "clicker" on a PEETZ Classic Reel projects a pleasing, organic sound through the wood that has become famous on the West Coast. We promise, you'll hear it in your dreams... fish on!
- PEETZ Classic Reels are not only built to last, but built to age. They actually look better when they weather with experience - and develop a patina that embodies your special time on the water.
- PEETZ connects generations. More often than not, your PEETZ Classic Reels will be handed down to future generations of your family. They will become a legacy for your family to remember you and your love for the traditional fishing experience.
- If you take care of them, all PEETZ reels can be refurbished practically indefinitely. We've performed factory refurbishing on PEETZ Classic Reels that are more than 80 years old!
Caring for Your Classic Wood Reels
If you care for and maintain your PEETZ reels, there's a good chance they'll return the favor with reliable service for decades... and likely your great, great grandchildren will be able to use them when they grow up too!
For saltwater fishing, you should also give your reels a rinse in fresh water after each use to minimize corrosion. You should also wash the reels periodically in a warm soap solution (mild dish soap works well).
We recommend that you lubricate your PEETZ fishing reels twice each season with a good quality marine (water-resistant) grease.
Follow these simple instructions:
- Remove lock screw from centre of wing nut/drag nut.
- Remove wing nut/drag nut as well as the brass and fibre washers. Remove reel drum from shaft, exposing inside of back plate. Clean old grease and debris from shaft (and inside of drum) as well as both halves of the reel. Also wipe clean the the clicker gear and clicker assembly.
- Lubricate shaft and clicker mechanism with a good quality light marine grease (such as Lubriplate).
- Re-assemble reel in reverse order to the first step above.
Preserve your PEETZ Classic Series wood fishing reels for decades to come!
Below are some helpful tips regarding fishing line selection and usage:
- Be aware that Nylon (monofilament or braided) and other highly elastic lines generate an enormous amount of line pressure on your reel's spool. It's called elastic potential energy and here's a link for details on the physics, if you are interested.
- Try to avoid lines with excessive stretch and know that backing of any type is no safeguard against spool damage. If you prefer the high stretch feel of monofilament, one option is to load your spool with low stretch line like Spectra® Fiber followed by the monofilament line of your choice. We recommend no more than 600 ft. of total load on the 5" reels and 800 ft. of total load on the 6" reels.
- When winding under heavy tension from weights, weeds, kelp, large bottom fish, etc., do not retrieve the line by steady winching - it is best to use a pumping action with your rod - pull up on the rod first and then reel the line in on the downstroke.
- Elastic line pressures continues while your reel is not in use! When storing your reel between seasons, let the line out with no weight on and retrieve under no drag, thereby leaving the line relaxed.
Please note that PEETZ Outdoors is not responsible for wood spool damage due to line pressure.
Want to save some time and ensure your PEETZ Classic series reels last a lifetime? Let us do the annual maintenance for you!
For a minimal charge, you have the option to send your PEETZ reels to our shop in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada at the end of each season and we will perform professional annual maintenance for you. This includes disassembly, full cleaning, inspection of all parts, re-grease, assembly, package and delivery. We can even respool with fresh line so you are ready to go!Learn More
We have refurbished PEETZ reels up to 80 years old!
When your PEETZ classic wood reels begin showing signs of normal wear and tear, we offer a reel overhaul service to get them working (and looking) as good as new!
This service includes disassembly, full cleaning, inspection of all parts, replacement of worn parts, refinishing of wood, polishing all brass components, re-grease, assembly, package and delivery. We can even respool with fresh line so you are ready to go!Learn More
Tame your favorite old "knuckle buster" with modern one-way drag control!
Another exciting option now available is to add modern one-way drag functionality to your favorite PEETZ classic wood reels! There is nothing like the feel of fishing with a PEETZ wood reel and now you can have the best of both worlds - modern guts and functionality in a comfortable (and totally cool) classic wood form!
For a modest charge, you can send your PEETZ reels to our shop and we'll professionally install an elegant retrofit kit that requires some minor modifications (a larger center hole is required for the mechanism. The other benefit of this retrofit is that it includes an updated drag control that is stronger and more sensitive to your adjustment.Learn More
PEETZ Products have a Lifetime Guarantee
Since 1925 PEETZ Outdoors Ltd. ("PEETZ") has stood behind the high quality of its products.
At PEETZ we aim to produce reels and fishing equipment which surpass your expectations and deliver an unprecedented outdoor experience. Through small production runs and a nearly century-long commitment to artisanal craftsmanship, we create products that provide a lifetime of satisfaction.
You can purchase from www.peetzoutdoors.com, in-store, or through an authorized PEETZ dealer with confidence. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will provide a refund or exchange the item within 30 days of purchase.
In addition, for the original purchaser, our PEETZ handcrafted fishing reels, rods and tackle are guaranteed against defects in workmanship for the lifetime of the product under normal operating conditions.
Terms & Conditions
PEETZ fishing reels purchased online, in-store, or through an authorized PEETZ dealer are covered by our limited lifetime warranty (the "Warranty"). Below are the terms and conditions:
- The Warranty applies to the original owner and is not transferable.
- The Warranty is limited to repair or replacement of the reel only, and does not cover direct, indirect, consequential, incidental or any other type of damage resulting from its use.
- The Warranty does not cover normal wear, misuse, negligence, fire, theft, loss or intentional damage.
- To qualify for warranty service, you must return your reel to our manufacturing facility along with a completed Returned Merchandise Authorization ("RMA") Form, or the warranty claim cannot be processed and the reel will be returned to the you.
- All shipments to us must be freight paid. We reserve the right to determine whether to repair or replace any product covered by under the Warranty. Discontinued products may be replaced with newer models when necessary.