As an extension of our popular Artist Series initiative, we are proud to introduce "Orca Pod", a PEETZ 5" Evolution fishing reel that has been engraved with an original design by renowned Kwaguilth artist Jason Henry Hunt.
"Orca Pod" depicts a radial pattern of six overlapping Orca dorsal fins, and continues our 2016 Artist Series theme of the "Chain of Life" - meant to raise awareness of the importance of healthy salmon stocks to the survival of the majestic West Coast species that rely on them. As with all of our Artist Series fishing reels, a portion of the purchase price of every "Orca Pod" reel is directed to salmon conservation and habitat restoration projects via the Pacific Salmon Foundation.
Mr. Hunt's design has been carefully converted into a digital file and is then laser engraved on the face of the reel prior to final finishing. The result is one of the most striking reels ever to be trolled on the West Coast! This reel will only look better and better as it ages and the wood develops a patina that can only be created by time on the water.
"Orca Pod" is engraved on the popular PEETZ 5" Evolution model of reel featuring a one-way drag mechanism. Not only does the reel look incredible, but it offers smooth roller bearing operation, modern functionality and outstanding performance.
You should also check out our hand carved, limited edition Artist Series reels. There are currently two releases available: "Circle of Life" and "Orca, Salmon and Moon". Only 90 of each reel will every be carved. Each reel is numbered and hand signed by the artist and they have been popular with both fishing enthusiasts and collectors of original West Coast aboriginal artwork.
The PEETZ Evolution Reel
Artist Series reels are based on the PEETZ Evolution fishing reel.
Released in 2015, the EVOLUTION fishing reel represents the first major innovation in reel design for PEETZ Outdoors in more than a decade!
There are so many wonderful advantages to a retro wood reel that we made a conscious effort to stay true to the PEETZ classic wood look, sound, and more importantly, feel! However, working closely with a number of professional west coast fisherman, we’ve introduced technical and functional enhancements to boost the performance of the PEETZ classic reel and bring it into the 21st century.
- A new design that offers a nod to our past, but an eye to the future!
- New one-way drag mechanism (no more "knuckle buster" effect!).
- Precision stainless steel center shaft and roller bearings.
- New drag control knob that is a nod to the classic PEETZ "wing nut" but offers an updated look and improved feel.
- Updated non-slip drag control.
- Handcrafted from sustainably farmed mahogany - stained and sealed with PEETZ custom sealer and two coats of quality matte varnish for decades of protection from the elements.
- Hand turned and polished brass components including a beautiful lathe-shaped brass line spool.
- New solid Cherry wood handles with clean, through-hull attachment.
- The distinctive resonating sound of the PEETZ clicker with on/off button.
- Created by Canadian artisans.
- A lifetime warranty.
For full details about the PEETZ Evolution Reel, visit this model's product overview page.
Caring for Your Evolution Wood Reels
If you care for and maintain your PEETZ reels, there's a good chance they'll return the favor with reliable service for decades... and likely your great, great grandchildren will be able to use them when they grow up too!
For saltwater fishing, you should also give your reels a rinse in fresh water after each use to minimize corrosion. You should also wash the reels periodically in a warm soap solution (mild dish soap works well).
We recommend that you lubricate your PEETZ fishing reels twice each season with a good quality marine (water-resistant) grease.
Follow these simple instructions:
- Remove lock screw from centre of wing nut/drag nut.
- Remove wing nut/drag nut as well as the brass and fibre washers. Remove reel drum from shaft, exposing inside of back plate. Clean old grease and debris from shaft (and inside of drum) as well as both halves of the reel. Also wipe clean the the clicker gear and clicker assembly.
- Lubricate shaft and clicker mechanism with a good quality light marine grease (such as Lubriplate).
- Re-assemble reel in reverse order to the first step above.
Preserve your PEETZ Evolution series wood fishing reels for decades to come!
Below are some helpful tips regarding fishing line selection and usage:
- Be aware that Nylon (monofilament or braided) and other highly elastic lines generate an enormous amount of line pressure on your reel's spool. It's called elastic potential energy and here's a link for details on the physics, if you are interested.
- Try to avoid lines with excessive stretch and know that backing of any type is no safeguard against spool damage. If you prefer the high stretch feel of monofilament, one option is to load your spool with low stretch line like Spectra® Fiber followed by the monofilament line of your choice. We recommend no more than 600 ft. of total load on the 5" reels and 800 ft. of total load on the 6" reels.
- When winding under heavy tension from weights, weeds, kelp, large bottom fish, etc., do not retrieve the line by steady winching - it is best to use a pumping action with your rod - pull up on the rod first and then reel the line in on the downstroke.
- Elastic line pressures continues while your reel is not in use! When storing your reel between seasons, let the line out with no weight on and retrieve under no drag, thereby leaving the line relaxed.
Please note that PEETZ Outdoors is not responsible for wood spool damage due to line pressure.
Want to save some time and ensure your PEETZ Evolution reels last a lifetime? Let us do the annual maintenance for you!
For a minimal charge, you have the option to send your PEETZ reels to our shop in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada at the end of each season and we will perform professional annual maintenance for you. This includes disassembly, full cleaning, inspection of all parts, re-grease, assembly, package and delivery. We can even respool with fresh line so you are ready to go!Learn More
We have refinished and refurbished PEETZ reels up to 80 years old!
When your PEETZ Evolution wood reels begin showing signs of normal wear and tear, we offer a reel overhaul service to get them looking and working as good as new!
This service includes disassembly, full cleaning, inspection of all parts, replacement of worn parts, refinishing of wood, polishing all brass components, re-grease, assembly, package and delivery. We can even respool with fresh line so you are ready to go!Learn More
PEETZ Products have a Lifetime Guarantee
Since 1925 PEETZ Outdoors Ltd. ("PEETZ") has stood behind the high quality of its products.
At PEETZ we aim to produce reels and fishing equipment which surpass your expectations and deliver an unprecedented outdoor experience. Through small production runs and a nearly century-long commitment to artisanal craftsmanship, we create products that provide a lifetime of satisfaction.
You can purchase from www.peetzoutdoors.com, in-store, or through an authorized PEETZ dealer with confidence. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will provide a refund or exchange the item within 30 days of purchase.
In addition, for the original purchaser, our PEETZ handcrafted fishing reels, rods and tackle are guaranteed against defects in workmanship for the lifetime of the product under normal operating conditions.
Terms & Conditions
PEETZ fishing reels purchased online, in-store, or through an authorized PEETZ dealer are covered by our limited lifetime warranty (the "Warranty"). Below are the terms and conditions:
- The Warranty applies to the original owner and is not transferable.
- The Warranty is limited to repair or replacement of the reel only, and does not cover direct, indirect, consequential, incidental or any other type of damage resulting from its use.
- The Warranty does not cover normal wear, misuse, negligence, fire, theft, loss or intentional damage.
- To qualify for warranty service, you must return your reel to our manufacturing facility along with a completed Returned Merchandise Authorization ("RMA") Form, or the warranty claim cannot be processed and the reel will be returned to the you.
- All shipments to us must be freight paid. We reserve the right to determine whether to repair or replace any product covered by under the Warranty. Discontinued products may be replaced with newer models when necessary.