We've matched the 4 Inch Sisiutl fishing reel with a quality, super responsive Amundson 9 foot graphite trolling/downrigger rod at an unbeatable price! This 4" Evolution Reel features an original design by Kwaguilth artist Jason Henry Hunt.
"Sisiutl" (Si’s-E-yu-L) is a radial interpretation of the two-headed sea serpent. Among the many legends of this supernatural being is that it was all powerful, invincible and perhaps more interestingly, a protector. Jason's design shows the Sisiutl holding/caring for salmon eggs - in keeping with our Artist Series theme.
Mr. Hunt's design has been carefully converted into a digital file and is then laser engraved on the face of the reel prior to final finishing. The results are spectacular. This reel will only look better and better as it ages and the wood develops a patina that can only be created by time on the water.
The 4" PEETZ Evolution Reel is a versatile size equally suited to salt or freshwater trolling. The reel features retro wood style but with modern "guts":
- PEETZ unique one-way drag mechanism ensures the Evolution Series of reels are easier than ever to use and virtually eliminates the "knuckle buster" effect!
- The introduction of precision roller bearings for better than ever drag control and super-smooth operation.
- Updated non-slip drag control design that is larger, stronger and yet easier to adjust to your liking.
- A drag control knob that is a nod to the classic PEETZ “wingnut” but offers an updated look and improved feel.
- A handle assembly that features through-hull versus face mounted knob attachment.
- New solid cherry handles with noticeable ergonomic advantages.
- A lighter reel overall versus the PEETZ classic series.
More About PEETZ Wood Reels
- Handcrafted mahogany - sealed and stained with PEETZ custom sealer and two coats of quality marine spar varnish for decades of protection from the elements.
- Hand turned and polished brass components including a beautiful lathe-shaped brass line spool.
- The distinctive sound of the PEETZ clicker ("fish on!") with on/off button.
- The PEETZ lifetime guarantee.
10'6" Foot "Savvy Captain" Trolling/Downrigger Rod
- Medium action graphite composite construction ideally suited for game fish up to 60lbs
- Matte black epoxy finish provides durability for years of use
- Lightweight silicon guide rings with chromed frames
- Silver aluminum winding check
- Black guide wraps with golden trim
- Lightweight graphite reel seat with stainless steel hoods
- High-grade cork grips
Ready to Order?
You can purchase online securely through this website, or you can call us toll-free at 800.883.0221 (Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm PST). Welcome to the PEETZ family!
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS ITEM IS OVERSIZED AND FREE SHIPPING DOES NOT APPLY. A REPRESENTATIVE FROM PEETZ WILL CONTACT YOU WITH AN ACCURATE QUOTE AFTER PLACING YOUR ORDER. YOU WILL HAVE THE OPTION TO CANCEL YOUR ORDER IF THE SHIPPING COST IS PROHIBITIVE FOR YOUR LOCATION.
About Jason Henry Hunt
Born in Victoria in 1973, Jason is the son of Kwaguilth carver and artist, Stanley Clifford Hunt. Following in the footsteps of his father and uncles, Tony Hunt and Richard Hunt, Jason has merged his trained indigenous artistic capabilities with a unique, recognizable style that is sought after by collectors throughout North America and in Europe.
Dedicated to the values of old world craftsmanship, and favouring the use of hand tools to carve and finish his works, Jason creates signature pieces that range from totem poles and large scale panels to masks, paintings and jewelry.
Today, Jason is the youngest steward of a rich legacy of creativity that traces its roots from his father through his grandfather, Henry Hunt, to his great-grandfather, Mungo Martin (both widely credited with teaching many of today’s leading artists). Jason’s work explores the distinct culture and art form of the Kwagiulth people while reflecting the vibrant history and knowledge of generations of acclaimed artists.
Visit www.otterbaystudio.com for more information about Jason and his artwork.
Regarding the Collaboration with PEETZ Outdoors
"To know that every reel by PEETZ is handmade locally in small runs, that no two reels are exactly alike, and that the company has a legacy of over 90 years is really appealing to me," states Mr. Hunt. "I'm excited about the creative, artistic, yet fully functional products that will evolve through our unique collaboration."
Growing up within small communities on Vancouver Island, Jason recognizes salmon fishing as an important part of life on the West Coast. Therefore, along side PEETZ, Jason has committed to donate a portion of all proceeds from all products created through his PEETZ collaboration to salmon conservation initiatives.
Caring for Your Evolution Wood Reels
If you care for and maintain your PEETZ reels, there's a good chance they'll return the favor with reliable service for decades... and likely your great, great grandchildren will be able to use them when they grow up too!
For saltwater fishing, you should also give your reels a rinse in fresh water after each use to minimize corrosion. You should also wash the reels periodically in a warm soap solution (mild dish soap works well).
We recommend that you lubricate your PEETZ fishing reels twice each season with a good quality marine (water-resistant) grease.
Follow these simple instructions:
- Remove lock screw from centre of wing nut/drag nut.
- Remove wing nut/drag nut as well as the brass and fibre washers. Remove reel drum from shaft, exposing inside of back plate. Clean old grease and debris from shaft (and inside of drum) as well as both halves of the reel. Also wipe clean the the clicker gear and clicker assembly.
- Lubricate shaft and clicker mechanism with a good quality light marine grease (such as Lubriplate).
- Re-assemble reel in reverse order to the first step above.
Preserve your PEETZ Evolution series wood fishing reels for decades to come!
Below are some helpful tips regarding fishing line selection and usage:
- Be aware that Nylon (monofilament or braided) and other highly elastic lines generate an enormous amount of line pressure on your reel's spool. It's called elastic potential energy and here's a link for details on the physics, if you are interested.
- Try to avoid lines with excessive stretch and know that backing of any type is no safeguard against spool damage. If you prefer the high stretch feel of monofilament, one option is to load your spool with low stretch line like Spectra® Fiber followed by the monofilament line of your choice. We recommend no more than 600 ft. of total load on the 5" reels and 800 ft. of total load on the 6" reels.
- When winding under heavy tension from weights, weeds, kelp, large bottom fish, etc., do not retrieve the line by steady winching - it is best to use a pumping action with your rod - pull up on the rod first and then reel the line in on the downstroke.
- Elastic line pressures continues while your reel is not in use! When storing your reel between seasons, let the line out with no weight on and retrieve under no drag, thereby leaving the line relaxed.
Please note that PEETZ Outdoors is not responsible for wood spool damage due to line pressure.
Want to save some time and ensure your PEETZ Evolution reels last a lifetime? Let us do the annual maintenance for you!
For a minimal charge, you have the option to send your PEETZ reels to our shop in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada at the end of each season and we will perform professional annual maintenance for you. This includes disassembly, full cleaning, inspection of all parts, re-grease, assembly, package and delivery. We can even respool with fresh line so you are ready to go!Learn More
We have refinished and refurbished PEETZ reels up to 80 years old!
When your PEETZ Evolution wood reels begin showing signs of normal wear and tear, we offer a reel overhaul service to get them looking and working as good as new!
This service includes disassembly, full cleaning, inspection of all parts, replacement of worn parts, refinishing of wood, polishing all brass components, re-grease, assembly, package and delivery. We can even respool with fresh line so you are ready to go!Learn More
PEETZ Products have a Lifetime Guarantee
Since 1925 PEETZ Outdoors Ltd. ("PEETZ") has stood behind the high quality of its products.
At PEETZ we aim to produce reels and fishing equipment which surpass your expectations and deliver an unprecedented outdoor experience. Through small production runs and a nearly century-long commitment to artisanal craftsmanship, we create products that provide a lifetime of satisfaction.
You can purchase from www.peetzoutdoors.com, in-store, or through an authorized PEETZ dealer with confidence. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will provide a refund or exchange the item within 30 days of purchase.
In addition, for the original purchaser, our PEETZ handcrafted fishing reels, rods and tackle are guaranteed against defects in workmanship for the lifetime of the product under normal operating conditions.
Terms & Conditions
PEETZ fishing reels purchased online, in-store, or through an authorized PEETZ dealer are covered by our limited lifetime warranty (the "Warranty"). Below are the terms and conditions:
- The Warranty applies to the original owner and is not transferable.
- The Warranty is limited to repair or replacement of the reel only, and does not cover direct, indirect, consequential, incidental or any other type of damage resulting from its use.
- The Warranty does not cover normal wear, misuse, negligence, fire, theft, loss or intentional damage.
- To qualify for warranty service, you must return your reel to our manufacturing facility along with a completed Returned Merchandise Authorization ("RMA") Form, or the warranty claim cannot be processed and the reel will be returned to the you.
- All shipments to us must be freight paid. We reserve the right to determine whether to repair or replace any product covered by under the Warranty. Discontinued products may be replaced with newer models when necessary.