Spectra® Fiber by Honeywell
At PEETZ, we use high quality Spectra Fiber when preloading reels for our customers. This line is ideal for both salt water and fresh water fishing and offers the following performance advantages:
- Stronger - up to four times stronger than monofilament nylon fishing line of equivalent diameter;
- Thinner - allowing anglers to cast further and more smoothly through the guides on their poles;
- More sensitive - helping anglers feel the slightest movement on their line;
- More durable - it has outstanding abrasion resistance and high resistance to chemicals and UV light.
Specra Fiber line also provides less stretch than monofilament nylon or other more elastic fishing lines. It is important to note that nylon and other elastic lines generate an enormous amount of line pressure on the spool. You should always avoid lines with excessive stretch and know that spool backing of any type is no safeguard against spool damage.
Below are some fishing line tips to preserve your PEETZ Classic Series wooden reels for decades to come:
- When winding under heavy tention from weights, weeds, kelp, large bottom fish, etc., do not retrieve the line by steady "winching" - it is best to use a pumping action with your rod - pull up on the rod first and then reel the line in on the downstroke.
- Note that elastic line pressures continues while your reel is not in use (it's called elastic potential energy - here's a link for details on the physics, if you are interested). When storing your reel between seasons, let the line out with no weight on and retrieve under no drag, thereby leaving the line relaxed.
PEETZ Outdoors Ltd. is not responsible for wooden spool damage due to line pressure.