May 27th, 2017 | Galiano Island, British Columbia
This Saturday marks the beginning of the third annual Galiano Salmon Classic Derby. Aside from a being a quality competition, the derby is committing net proceeds to the Pacific Salmon Foundation. Hosted out of the Montague Harbour Marina, last year this event saw over 100 anglers vying for prizes, including a grand prize of a new hot tub! The event has been growing each year and this year is anticipated to be the biggest yet
Ireland's Brian O'Brien is being flown in to play live!
Derby tickets are $100 per contestant and include:
- Entrance to the Derby
- Weigh-in of 1 fish per ticket
- One entry (valued at $20) for the Coast Spas hot tub raffle
- A day of excitement in the beautiful Gulf Islands.
Check-in is on Friday, May 26th.
Derby Rules & Prizes
- Derby runs 5am - 6pm
- Fishing in Canadian waters only
- Weigh-in between 5pm-6pm on May 27th
- Cash prizes for the top 3 biggest salmon by weight
- Grand prize winner also receives an engraved PEETZ Artist Series "trophy reel", custom engraved with the Derby winner's name and the weight of their prize winning fish.
- Cash prize amount TBD based on final entry numbers (Last year’s grand prize was $2000, this year expected to be more!).
- Runner-up winners get their pick from an array of prizes donated to the event
As of writing, there a couple of mooring spots left at the Montague Harbour Marina, and camping is still available at the Montague Harbour Marine Provincial Park.